Thursday, December 29, 2011

Getting Started

First of all, thanks for visiting my blog!  This is a blog dedicated to vegan cooking and baking.  When I became vegetarian five years ago, a whole new world of food was opened up to me.  Instead of the typical meal - meat, some kind of grain, and a vegetable - my plates were filled with creative, colorful concoctions.  I experimented with cuisines from around the world, zesty spices, and grains I had never heard of (quinoa?  amaranth?) 


However, I often resorted to using lots of cheese or other high-fat foods to fill in the gaps in my diet.  When I switched to vegan about a year ago - cutting out all eggs and dairy - I was forced to get even more creative, and also healthier.  Vegan food is naturally flavorful and diverse, which is why I try to use ingredients that are naturally vegan when I cook, instead of trying to find substitutes for popular non-vegan foods.  Hopefully you'll agree with me that vegan food is fresh, delicious, healthy and satisfying!


I do a lot of cooking and baking in my free time, but I usually rely on other people's recipes, at least as guides.  So, I'm pretty new to writing my own recipes, but I promise everything I post will be well-tested and detailed.  I love to bake more than anything, and I've found that vegan baking is especially delicious: moist and earthy.  My goal is to create baking recipes that use simple, on-hand ingredients (no egg-replacers or other store-bought substitutes.)


I can't wait to get started, and to get your feedback and suggestions.  Happy cooking!


Cayla   


~ "Vegetables are a must on a diet.  I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie." ~ Jim Davis 

No comments:

Post a Comment